Thursday, December 29, 2011

How Much (Money) Do You Eat In A Day?

Jen and I were literally just talking about this in the break room as we heated up our pathetic  lunches. How much do we eat in a day? Money wise. So lets take a look at today, which is basically the norm:

Breakfast: Hy-Vee (Iowa grocery store) brand instant oatmeal. $2.09 for a box of ten packets. I eat one for breakfast so that equals about 21 cents per packet. 

Lunch: Spaghetti. AKA rotini noodles with marinara sauce. I will err on the side of caution and say I can get 4 meals out of it. Box of pasta $2. Marinara sauce $1. What we're poor remember? so each serving is 75 cents. 

Dinner: I  keep my dinners light usually like a PB&J Sandwich with a yogurt. Yogurt isn't as cheap as I'd like it to be. Usually around 65 cents a piece. Loaf of bread is $2.50. I can get like 10 sandwiches out of that so that is 25 cents in bread per sandwich. Jelly ( or preserves in my case, no sugar added of course) is $3.50 a jar. I can easily get 20 sandwiches with a jar. That's only 18 cents per sandwich. We'll assume the same for peanut butter too. So for one PB&J Sandwich it's 61 cents. 

Lets recap shall we?

Breakfast: $.21

Lunch: $.75

Dinner: $1.26

Total: $2.22 

That's it. Really puts things into perspective. Before I was buying frozen meals at $2 a piece because they were pre-made and convenient. However now after doing the math, I don't think I'll go back. Lean Cuisines will now be considered a treat. We get paid tomorrow (Woooo!!!!) and I know I won't be going grocery shopping with my usual list. Give it a try and figure out how much (money) you eat in a day. 

Cheers

Marisa

2 comments:

  1. Haha yes money certainly does not grow on trees, if only. I am so poor it is ridiculous! Just came back from travelling so I guess it understandable. Really interesting to see how much money you (in general) actually spend on food. For me its okay until you do your weekly shop and it feels like you are throwing your money away!

    Anyway, I am your newest follower!

    Happy New Year!

    Hailes<3

    hailesheartsfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete