Sunday, December 18, 2011

Jen's first weekend on the wagon...

So a tiny bit of backstory on me then a quick overview of my first weekend on the wagon.  Recently separated from my husband I just got an apartment on my own and will be living by myself for the first time ever.  Although far from impossible, switching from 2 incomes to 1 will take some adjustment.

Of course with moving comes lots of added costs ($$) then add on needing new tires before the brutal Iowa winter ($$$) and some unexpected vet bills ($) needless to say I'm having a rough December.  Since my finances weren't exactly stellar going into the month there definitely needs to be a change, in the very least to recover and build up a rainy day fund.

Since last weekend I have not gone out to eat.  Not once.  This doesn't sound like much of an accomplishment but there is an awesome burrito place 5 minutes from my apartment and I pass it everyday.  When I first moved in I think I ate there 3-4x a week so not eating there at all is a total accomplishment.  Especially because today I wanted to but I reminded myself that I bought contact solution instead (both ~$6) and that I had a lot of food at home.

Today instead of going to brunch we had a "Poor Girls" brunch with Andre Champagne, Target OJ, and homemade pancakes.  I'm gluten free/vegan so we used the gf Bisquick mix with vanilla almond milk and egg substitute. They turned out really good.  And one accidentally looked like a ghost/snowman.  Ghost of Christmas past anyone?

Spending in general for the weekend was pretty good.  I needed a few things for the apartment but I had some bed, bath and beyond gift cards so I did my best to maximize those.  I made a giant batch of brown rice and got indian food packets to pair with it.  Also I stocked up on a bunch of soup for the week.  The first couple months I need to be more stringent then things can become a little more lax once I recover.

Staying in (so far) isn't so bad.  I've spent a lot of money on fun things that I haven't full enjoyed to date so there's plenty of "free" fun at home.  I'm sure in a couple weeks I'll be singing a different tune but right now, I'm good.

That's all for me this weekend!

<3 Jen

Poor Girls Brunch



No comments:

Post a Comment