Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oh the financial titanic as it heads for the visa iceberg...

So I made the mistake of looking at finances over lunch.  New rule.  No looking at finances over lunch.  Nothing is going to change from noon to 5 and quite frankly chances are nothing good will come of it.

Needless to say doing so totally ruined my day.  Why?  Well first off, when I was going through our final joint couple bills I asked for $800 to cover 1) his portion of the Chase Visa bill + 2) joint couple expenses from said Chase Visa bill (which he was nice enough to open in my name with him as an authorized user) + 3) moving expenses that he offered to split.  Needless to say after we filed he decided he didn't owe me $800, he owed me $400.  Regardless of what the numbers might suggest otherwise.  Since we had already filed all the paperwork there really wasn't anything I could do...

So here is the irony.  If I zeroed my checking account to pay the Visa bill and all my other bills for January (this takes into account next paycheck) the balance on Visa would be almost $400 exactly.  Irony right?  Also take this for irony.  Vet bills and other things hit after the statement date, so what will I owe on that card (including the forementioned $400) $800.  Almost exactly what my tires+oil change cost this month.  Oh irony.  Someone out there is laughing their ass off right now...

I've been trying not to let myself freakout but it's pretty hard.  I'm seriously considering looking for a part-time job for a while to recover.  If it stopped with the $800 iceberg that would be one thing, but because we added him as a line on my phone contract when we got married I'm stuck paying that bill and paying to close his line (you'd think he was the one planning to leave the way he kept his name off everything).  So add another few hundred for that... as you can see this is quickly becoming a sinking ship.  I thought about taking a cash advance on my credit line to zero it out and lower the interest a little but we'll see.

I just need to keep remembering that in the long run this is all for the best.  I didn't accrue my debt by myself regardless of what the other individual might think.  It's borderline horrible uncomfortable right now but it would have been far worse to stay in a relationship where being taken advantage was a forever reality.  Once I recover things will be wonderful and I can go on to live a happier, more balanced, life.

Thanks for reading.

<3 Jen

2 comments: